If you need to re-order the navigation in your WordPress menu, it’s quite easy to do. Here’s how you can accomplish sorting the menu items:
- Log into your WordPress admin to enter the Dashboard
- click on the ‘Quick Edit’ link in the Pages view
- to the right side, you’ll see that each page by default is set to an order of 0
- click inside the input fields change the order numbers to be sequential, e.g, Home , Blog, About, etc
- be sure to click the UPDATE button after each change
Why’s it a good idea to re-order the navigation of your site? Think of the user experience, and the fact that English reads left to right. The normal hierarchy for web sites is to have the Home link at the farthest left; and then to continue in order of importance. The last item in the menu, however, may or may not be the least important in the hierarchy. For example, if the last item is the Contact Us page, it might be the least important in terms of content; then again, your business might depend on customers being able to contact you. In that case, being on the end could be helpful, in that it’s the last item your readers scan since they’ve read the items in the navigation from left to right.
It’s also helpful to consider the user experience in terms of storytelling: First we want to welcome them into our adventure (the Home or “Landing” Page; then we want to give them some details (Product Details); lastly, we want to give them an opportunity to connect with us at a deeper level (Contact Us or Blog or Social Media).